Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Gift to the World


My momma was born four days after Christmas--a gift to the world.

For as long as I can remember, she's been the person I go to whenever I need to talk. If I need help, if I'm excited and need someone to share that with, if I'm just bored and want to chat, she's the first person I call every single time. 

I've met very few people who can pour love out on people the way that she does without even trying. (My last blog was about another one of those few people.) I've watched her open her home and her heart to a number of people simply because they needed somewhere to stay, and she does it without a second thought. She gives, and gives, and gives, and if you try to give back, she doesn't quite know how to receive. Her joy comes from giving, and from loving, and to me, that's such a beautiful, beautiful thing.

I was very, very lucky to be raised by such a person. (Now, just so we're clear, I'm not discounting what an amazing dad I have! He did just as much to raise me and shape who I am, but this blog is about momma.) I grew up watching her love people...Dad, Joey, me. If my friends were over, she fed them, sometimes she clothed them, sometimes she made sure they had transportation. If dad, or Joey, or I needed something, she did everything in her power to make sure that thing was had as quickly as possible. My momma is a giver through and through, and she pours out her love on daddy, Joey, and me more than any person should be able to pour out love. 

I've made a lot of poor choices in my life, and despite those choices, mom never stopped loving and supporting me. If I disobeyed, she got angry, and kept loving me. If I didn't take her advice, she got sad, and kept loving me. If I argued with her, she argued back, and kept loving me. The greatest thing she's done is to love, and to teach others, to teach me how to love. I hope that, someday, I can be as wonderful as she is...if she reads this, she's going to disagree with me, but that's OK, because everyone else will know how true these things are about her.

I've been told my whole life that I look like momma (I'm not as pretty as she is, but I'm glad to know I look like her some), but I hope that, as I grow, I can also be like her. I want to give likes she gives and love like she loves.



I love you, momma. 
Thank you for always being the most wonderful mother I could have ever asked for. 
Happy Mother's Day!


5 comments:

  1. OH my little baby! How beautiful that was! I'm so glad that you can see how much I love you. That is worth more than anything to me. I am so proud of you and so happy with how your life is turning out! You are a lovely young woman with the rest of your life ahead of you. You have the loveliest husband I could wish for...I am so happy for you! It is so funny to see how much we look alike in that picture:) Two peas in a pod but you learn WAY faster than I did, thank God!! *It IS God you know* I love you Lindsey and always will...here and in the next world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can see how much I love you, too, Momma!

      Delete
  2. I love this and I love you too Bonnie! I hope I am able to pour myself out to my boys the way you do to your family. And I have seen both of those pictures before but NEVER side by side! Holy Cow! Two beautiful ladies. love you both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that you pour yourself out to your boys just as much. Our momma's taught us how to love really well. :) Love you!

      Delete
  3. I know I'm a bit late on this, but this post could not be more true! Bonnie is one of the most giving, loving people I know, and I feel like she has always been a part of my life, not just the past 5 years. From the moment I walked into your house she showed me love, she made me laugh and most of all she listened to me and cared for me. She helped me through some difficult times and I will always be grateful for that.

    And Linds, rest assured that you ARE like your mother. You are so sweet, loving, caring and funny, just like your momma! You two, your dad and Joey and the rest of your family have been such a huge part of my life and I thank God every day for making our paths cross!!

    Love you sister!

    BB

    ReplyDelete