Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Notes on Love (or Love is a Verb)

Generally, I write big, long-winded paragraphs about what I'm thinking...they don't always make sense, and they often drag on and on. So, this time, I want to share just some quick, simple thoughts I've been having about love lately.


Love is a verb, an action verb. We do it. 
It doesn't just happen.

We have to choose to love.
It doesn't just happen.

No relationship is easy, [Romantic, Friendship, Family]
but if you stick them out, and love actively,
most of them can be pretty wonderful.

Forgiveness goes hand-in-hand with loving. 
If someone messes up, forgive them, because 
if you don't all that negativity will linger and fester.

Misunderstandings will happen. When they do, talk things out.
Don't let things go unresolved.
Approach these conversations with an open mind and a soft heart.

Be willing to compromise
Be willing to not always get your way
Sometimes, fulfilling someone else for a moment 
is worth much more than being fulfilled yourself. 
And sometimes, fulfilling someone else 
can fulfill you at the same time.

Your heart is going to break sometimes. When it does,
don't let that result in your thinking that there's something wrong with you.
Your heart breaks when you leave it open to love.
Be cautious with it, guard it, but don't close it.

Don't judge people. 
You don't have to like everyone, 
but don't look down on someone 
just because they aren't like you, 
or don't look at the world like you do. 
You wouldn't want them to do that to you.

Be honest in a way that tells the whole truth
without ripping someone apart.
Be honest, stand your ground,
but be aware of how your words
and how your tone can make someone feel.

Don't retaliate. An eye for an eye 
will only result in more pain. More strife.

Love is
beautiful,
wonderful,
difficult,
kind.
Love is a choice.
Love is worth it.

12 comments:

  1. This is absolutely beautiful Sweetheart!!! So insightful!!! I want to post it to my site..is that OK? Wonderfulllll....wonderfulll...each word is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, momma! You're one of my biggest love inspirations!

      Delete
  2. this is going to sound strange maybe, but i like the white space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not strange at all! I put it there because I liked it too. That poetry stuff trying to sneak it's way into my nonfiction I guess. =] Thanks for reading this.

      Delete
  3. You make art with words. Its really cool. Good thing we're married.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good thing. I love you in more ways that I can name.

      Delete
  4. Wow. That is all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are absolutely beautiful! I'm going to put a link to this on my FB page :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this before, but I just read it again. It's like you reached in my brain and pulled out the words. I've been thinking about love lately. I've always believed it's a choice, but I'm having a hard time making that choice with certain people lately. Anyway... I'm not going to blog in your comment section. So I'll just say this is real nice. Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time with loving people a LOT of the time...especially right now that my neighbors are PUNCHING the floor because they're watching basketball! (That was a joke)...but seriously, I have trouble with it. That's why I wrote this, to remind myself. Glad we're on the same wave length.

      Delete