Monday, February 27, 2012

Hyper-Focus

Sometimes, I have trouble focusing. I'll have a project to edit, or a paper due, or laundry to be done, or dishes to wash, and suddenly I can't focus on the thing I need to do because distractions pop up everywhere.

Other times, I hyper-focus.  I'll get something in my head, and it's all I can do to try and think about something else.

The first one, I think, is a pretty common thing. We have something that needs to be done, that may not be that much fun, and we make excuses so we don't have to do it. The second one, though...it worries me sometimes. Let me explain why.

When I say I hyper-focus, I mean that to an extreme...I'll get something in my head, like crocheting, and it's like my fingers get twitchy until I'm trying out whatever crochet idea I had up there. And that's on a good day. On a bad day, it might be the way someone's eyes, or hair, or clothes look, and the fact that I need to try everything I can to look that way, too, and if I can't, my whole body gets twitchy. My shoulders hunch, I wrap my arms around my stomach, I stutter and my eyes dart around.
Crazy person.

I find myself, a lot of the time, comparing the way that I look, talk, act, am, to the girls that are either around me, or the girls that are/were in my husband's life. That's not healthy. Not at all, but I keep doing it. It's not every girl...there are lots of girls that are beautiful, wonderful people, that I don't feel any need to compare myself to. But there are other beautiful, wonderful girls that we both know, that whenever they're around, or are brought up, or I think about them, become these perfect standards that I'll never live up to. Sometimes, it's a random photograph of one of his ex-girlfriends, sometimes it's a friend of ours, or his, or mine, sometimes it's a random girl in a store that is wearing a style of clothing that I know he likes because I've worn it before.


Simply noticing these things wouldn't be a big deal. Even the fact that these things bug me wouldn't be a big deal, if I brushed them off. But these things sit with me...they grow like mold on an old shower curtain that never gets to dry out.

I understand that my insecurity makes me view the world in a skewed way, and most of the time, I recognize this skewed version of reality and can point it out to myself as false. But...I still hyper-focus on the problems that I see...the problems with myself. And these problems arise because I compare myself to these other girls...and because I'm comparing myself, and finding fault in myself, these other girls themselves become the objects of focus.
Crazy Person. 
Have I said that yet?

I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to see a girl and immediately start comparing myself to her. Her hair, her clothes, her height, her weight, her muscle tone, her style, her eyes, her lips, her hair, her skin, her voice, her mannerisms, how smart she is, how clever she is, how funny she is, how much she has in common with my husband or my other friends. I don't want to do this anymore...I don't want to be jealous. I don't want to be insecure. I don't want to hyper-focus on these things that make me not like who I am, or make me want to be someone else, or make me worry that I won't ever be good enough for my husband. I want to be happy being me, and quit worrying about everyone else.

10 comments:

  1. I think to some extent this hyper focus is a natural thing...I feel like people (women especially) use others to compare themselves and set a standard for what they want/don't want to be. Growing up we watched movies and compare them to the characters. AS we get older we starts to use other people to form our opinions of ourselves in a lot of ways.

    The worst part about is (and hardest to realize) is that the friend, coworker, classmate, and stranger we compare ourselves with isn't real. They are symbols, mirages for ONE aspect of that person. It's easy to look at someone and feel like they have it all figured out. I think that is because 99% of people don't walk around dripping of their flaws... so all we see is this girl who's cute (that is empty inside), this model (who hates herself), the girl who has her life together (but has NO clue who is really is as a person)...

    Sadly I'm just as guilty and some days more. But I'm a work in progress...just like you. Acknowledging these issues helps to figure out who are are and help us to become who we want to be. At the end of the day EVERY girl you compare yourself to has flaws and insecurities JUST LIKE YOU! And they might compare themselves to you...

    You are a STRONG, SMART, POSITIVE, HAPPY, EXCITING, LOVING, ENCOURAGING, TALENTED, ALL AROUND AMAZING woman, sister, daughter, wife, and friend. You aren't perfect...no one is. But you have something special to offer the world that I don't have and that strangers doesn't have. You have an amazing husband and family who adore you!!! You just have to keep yourself in check and remind yourself that you aren't perfect but you work everyday to be the person YOU want to be. That's all you can do.

    LOVE YOU?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tay - I know you're right...I know that every girl that I assume is the perfect standard of perfect has just as many issues and insecurities as me...It REALLY helps hearing it from someone else, though...I feel like if I could delete my Facebook, and hole my self away from a week or a month or a year, that would help...but we all know I won't do those things. Having friends like you to talk it over is really, really wonderful, though. Without you guys, and Vince, I don't know what I'd do. Thank you! And I love you, too!

      Delete
  2. I can relate. Everybody has those things that they "hyper-focus" on that stem from something deep-seeded inside them. I am learning that the only way I can find healing in those areas of my life is to find contentment in the Lord - and I fail at it miserably anyway. It is a vicious cycle.

    BUT, my point to this is to tell you that even though I understand, you have NEVER had a reason to feel insecure about anything. You are an amazing lady in every way. Of all the people who have touched my life, you stand out among them. You are not only beautiful on the outside, but you are so unique and real that your insides live up to the hype. You're too cool to sweat the small stuff. So, when the voices in your head tell you those things, listen to the voices of the tons of people who love you and think you're stellar JUST the way you are. ;)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristie - I think my BIGGEST problem is my lack of reliance on God...When I was single, and lonely, I relied on God for everything...and I was happy that way. It was easy to get past even really HARD situations (well, relatively easy, haha)...but once I found Vince, I stopped relying on God so much. I'm lucky enough to have a best friend with me every day, but the downside is, I don't turn to God when I should..even when things get hard. I tend to think that I can handle it...I think if I turned to God more, every day, for good and bad, things would be cast in a whole new light. I love you!! And I always appreciate your advice, and willingness to just listen.

      Delete
  3. Thank you both for saying what you feel to my little hyperfocused little girl! I wish she could see herself like we see her. I wish she could see inside each one of us to see the insecurities we all have...she would feel 'one' with us and us with her....and you are right Lindsey. Our God is there to fill the gap with our pain and our hurts and he 'makes it all better'. One day we will look him in the eye and become truly whole. You are wonderful and beautiful and uniquely talented and valuable to Vince and your Mom, Dad, Brother and friends and family...even your acquaintances...I know I've said all of this before and will say it again..and I know it doesn't help b/c you think I am biased and I guess I am....but so what. I love you more than life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh momma, it does help. It helps every time you talk to me, or listen to me, or give me a hug. I love you more than life, and I'm so incredibly lucky to have YOU as a momma.

      Delete
  4. I know how you feel. Trust me.. we all get that way from time to time. A lot of the comparing ourselves to other girls is just our deep insecurities. They may be small, but once you start giving them your thoughts and time; they can become large. It's important to try and distract yourself if and when you can.

    I find myself getting overly jealous at the most random times. For example; I checked out girls with my ex-fiance all the time (we've been broken up for about a month or two now.. and we're working on things a bit) and I'd be like.. "Do you think she's cute?" It was mostly never a big deal but when I was feeling insecure if he said someone was hot; I'd feel like I was less attractive and that maybe he didn't love me. Confusing, right? Lol.

    As far as becoming hyperfocused on things you want to do; I do that ALL that time and trust me.. I know how you feel about being a crazy person. I'll wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and HAVE to write something out because I'm worried I'll forget it. Or, I'll randomly get the crazy idea that I MUST stay up all night and play a certain game etc. I'm sure that's normal.. just our mind's way of allowing us to do something that's been in the back of our minds for a while I guess.

    I think the fact that you notice these things means that they will change. Some people don't ever notice so they are never able to change.. this makes you one step ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband says that, because I notice them, I'll be able to address them, too. Which is really encouraging! But, sometimes I think I'm overly-aware!

      Thanks so much for reading!!

      Delete
  5. Laurett...Daniel and Tyler Hicks MomMarch 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM

    Lindsey, you are beautiful just the way you are, embrace that. God made you the way you are, and the best thing you can do is just obsess about being the best Lindsey. As far as your husband goes, he married you, not them. He sees the beauty in you, inside and out and you are the most lovely thing on this planet to him. He didn't choose them because he is totally in love with and crazy about you! You are one of the sweetest, most insightful people your age, younger or older. God is perfect and He made you beautiful so that He and others would see you and think how wonderful He is and thus how beautiful and kind you are and make them want what you have! Count your blessings, don't worry about what you don't have and focus on what you DO have, which are the most important things in life, which upon reading your blogs, you have it quite very abundantly!!!!! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Laurett! I really appreciate the kind words, and you reading this!!!

      Delete