Friday, October 21, 2011

The Facebook Phenomenon

Why is it that Facebook plays such a huge role in our lives?

That question has been rolling around in my head for weeks now. I've talked to people about it, in different settings, and still have no concrete answer.

I ask the question, because even though I don't want it to be a big thing to me, it is. I really would rather not care what's going on in cyberspace, but it effects me deeply. And that disturbs me. If I could come up with a reason explaining to myself why it matters so much, maybe I wouldn't be so bothered.

So let's talk about it.

Facebook is a social networking site. We all know this. It's a place where we can share information, photos, ideas, and feelings with people we might never get to see or talk to otherwise. I posted photos of my wedding so that my family and friends who were unable to make it could look at them. I recently shared a music video that my brother's band made. Without Facebook, it would have been much much harder to get the word out. I found out that my cousin is having twins, a boy and a girl, almost as soon as she found out. I've gotten to see my cousins' children grow up! These things are wonderful features that Facebook allows.

However, I've noticed in the last few years that Facebook has also become a place for people to establish themselves. What I mean by that is, people go on Facebook to show people who they are. We create profiles stating our likes and dislikes. We take photos to establish our style for the world. We state our relationship with people so that it's clear to everyone just what we mean to so-and-so. And the real kicker is, none of this information has to be true, yet, we treat it as if it were vital.

"It's not official until it's Facebook official."

I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. Before I got married, my husband and I dated for several months. It wasn't on Facebook, and people would ask over and over why it wasn't. After a while, that starts to wear on you. And for what? Why should it matter if it's represented online. Everyone knew we were together. We knew we were together. Why does Facebook get to dictate reality?

Have you ever been on Facebook, seen a nasty status, known it was directed toward you, and had a bad day because of it? Would the person who posted that status have said those words to you if you'd been face to face? Doubtful. Facebook has evolved from a great place to post digital information to share with people far away, into a place where people can bully and pry without having any repercussions.

The saddest part is, after all of this, even though I really think that what Facebook has become, is more often hurtful than not, I still check it all the time. I get excited when someone comments on something. Likes something. Posts something for me. It's a dependency on this site for human interaction. It fulfills some base need that I seem to have to be reassured that the life I'm living is okay. That the way I look is okay. That my ideas and beliefs are okay. I know how silly that sounds, but whether it's silly or not, it's the way things have become, at least in my life. I can't speak for anyone else.

I posted this blog because I want to hear ideas. I want to know what people think about Facebook, about Twitter, Instagram, Google+, texting, Klout, all of those sites where we go to communicate, to have social interaction instead of going to a store and talking to people, or picking up a phone and calling them. We hide behind screens with text and photos. What do you think about all this? Maybe, if you're confused too, we can help each other understand.

6 comments:

  1. So, I love this entry. My husband and I have been discussing things like this for a couple weeks. We both feel like it has changed from what it was when we created our profiles just a mere four years ago. Now there are all these crazy apps, games, chain status', etc. I have Facebook mainly because my beautiful sister and her family live in Michigan, 8 hours away from me, along with a lot of my other family. My in-laws live in North Carolina, and I now live in Berea instead of Somerset. It makes it easier to communicate with the people we love that are so far away.

    I do not understand why it has gotten to the point where it is a race to see who has the most friends, who can be the nastiest, or who can wear the least amount of clothes in their profile pictures. I don't even know how to keep kids safe from cyber bullying because Facebook is such an enabler for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linds!

    I could not agree more! This crazy little thing called Facebook has taken over peoples' lives! It's absolutely crazy! And I myself am guilty at times.

    Yes, there are things I love about it. As you mentioned it is a great way to keep up with those people we don't see very often, a way to watch our families grow and to celebrate moments with our friends. But as you said I think more often than not the things people post on Facebook can hurt us, even the things we most on there hurt us sometimes, by the way people respond to them or the way people don't respond to them...

    I believe that if I didn't have a job where I worked on a social media team (the irony here is killing me) that I would unsubscribe from my Facebook page and I would most certainly delete my Twitter. The thing I hate most of all about social media is it is KILLING our ability to interact with others in person. No one wants to actually go hang out with their friends, or go to a concert or go on a date even, they would rather sit at home hidden behind their computer, behind their insecurities. I wish more than anything that this would STOP! I am literally scared for the generations to come. What will their one on one interaction look like? Will they wise up and realize how ridiculous all of this is? Or will they hardly ever leave the house? Work from home...buy all of their clothes online...internet dating...have groceries delivered to their homes...sit at home and listen to a church's podcast. What a sad, sad world that would be...

    One thing that I think is important about social media is to LIMIT yourself. I did this for a while a year or so ago and I should try to do it again. I limited myself to only looking at Facebook once a day. One time only! And that could be as long or as short as I wanted but once I had gotten on that one time I wouldn't let myself do it again. Do you know how healthy that was for me!? It was beautiful! Rather than get on Facebook I would have quiet time, say a prayer, read something interesting where I would actually learn something! I would often go to Starbucks and just sit there, listen for God and watch how people interacted with one another!

    I'm going to start doing this again! The hardest part will be that I use it as a "break" at work to give my brain a chance to relax....but I guarantee that I could find a better way to take a mental break :)

    I love you and thanks for posting this!

    Keep on writing!!

    Love from,

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. FB is a wonderful thing for the passive-agressives. It allows them to say what they want to who they want without having to actually GO to that person and thereby risk being a chicken.

    Everyone has pride. FB feeds that in so many ways:
    * look how many friends I have (regardless if I actually talk to these people)
    * look how how pretty I am in my profile pic (after I've cropped it and done some other editorial machinations) and I don't even normally look like that!
    * I can actually "stalk" so-and-so without their knowing/I can keep track of so-and-so
    * I can get my future husband "by accident" on FB (not that I'VE personally done that or anything Linz hee hee) - see passive agressive argument
    * Look at how happy I am now that we're broken up - see my new profile pic with Mr. Wonderful?
    ...And the pride list goes on and on.

    And yes, I have seen a couple of statuses that were directed at me and or my husband and I and it hurt deeply and we're still feeling that hurt and we'll be reminded of that hurt here very shortly when the reality of that fall-out shows itself in the absence of a family who should be here celebrating a new life...taking pictures that we can plaster all over FB for the world to see...pictures will be posted, but some people will be missing. And I blame FB along with some other stuff for that.

    I think that in the absence of FB, while people may still feel the way they say they do in the passive-agressive manner, if they didn't have the "outlet" of FB et. al., they'd really have to stop and think twice about what they'd say or do. I'm willing to wager that 9 out of 10 times, they'd get their heart right and shut their mouth and not say it at all. But because FB does exist and there aren't any repercussions unless you want them, all's fair in love and war and unfortunately, it's a lot of war. That's my $0.02.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone wants to feel accepted. I think that's the root of a lot if it, bit I think our need to feel important has been injected with a digital steroid. It's mutated, and one day we'll only be able to talk about ourselves in a digital form. We won't know how to interact with each other. It's funny... Because If you think about it, Life's about relationships and human interaction. Facebook was created to make these things more convinient, but the convenience has had an opposite effect. Well it's SO black and white, but I think there's truth to it.
    My thoughts. Good blog!

    -Joe
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen - The cyber bullying bothers me most, I think, all though I don't like the scantily cladness and those types of things...I just wish that Facebook could be used as a tool to build God's kingdown more often than not.

    Stace - I'm right there with you. I think limiting my social networking each day, to once or twice a day, would be really beneficial. We should be able to control our Facebook use, not the other way around. Want to do this together?

    Laine - I agree, but, I think we're ALL like that to a certain extent, even if we are consciously trying not to be. I know that I've gone and posted things that, in retrospect, I would never have SAID to that person...and I'm vehemently against using Facebook for that. It kind of traps everyone in some way, or another...or at least, has the potential to.

    Joey -I couldn't have said it better myself. Being accepted is a base, human need (I think), but feeling important is something else entirely. It's vanity, and I can say that, personally, I struggle with that EVERY day. Your thoughts always open doors for me, and my ideas always grow or change when I hear what you have to say. Thanks for always being honest, and sharing.

    Love to all four of you! Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts, and to put so much thought into your responses. I think this topic is important, for us, for the older generations, but most importantly, for the upcoming generations. Their lives have ALWAYS had Facebook, Twitter, information at their fingertips. This stuff needs to be talked about for them, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more with you about the cyber bullying and the generation following us.

    I love to read what you write, it is always so beautiful and insightful. You have a great gift!

    ReplyDelete