Monday, October 3, 2011

Chop Off the Monster's Head

Jealousy is an ugly thing. 

It's one of those things that creeps up on you, unawares, and yanks your feet out from under you. Then, when you're on your face, it comes and stomps on all of your fingers. It punches you, and kicks you, and insists that you hate yourself. It's a monster that you don't see coming until it's already too late.


It's weird how it works. 


Jealousy works on your soul in a way that makes you feel like less. Makes you feel inadequate, not good enough. Whatever or whoever you're jealous of becomes this untouchable things that you put yourself up against, and in the end, you always fall short. You aren't tall enough, aren't short enough, aren't pretty enough, aren't skinny enough, aren't funny enough, aren't serious enough, aren't enough. Never enough.
It's horrible,
and it will kill you, if you let it.


I have a real problem with jealousy. I find myself getting jealous of so many things. I feel silly afterward, a lot of the time, but I also still feel jealous. Whether it's of something someone has, or the way someone looks, or the amount of time I get to talk in a conversation...I get jealous for lots and lots and lots of reasons. My jealousy is like a living thing that I can't control...that sometimes controls me.


Jealousy doesn't make sense. 


One minute, you might be completely okay, happy, laughing, calm. And the next, after that stressor is introduced, you might be sad, angry, tense, scared.


In my experience, the stressor is generally self-induced. Meaning, it's something that is all in  your mind...it's born there, nourished in the soil of your insecurities, and grown into an all-consuming monster. The real kicker is, it's so ingrained as a part of us, we become blinded to the fact that only we can chop off its head.


I see this happening in my life almost daily. I had a talk with Vince, my husband, the other day. I expressed to him in oh-so-eloquent terms (that was sarcasm) that I was jealous of the way another woman looked. It wasn't relevant to anything that was happening at that moment. I just happened to look at a picture of this person, and blurt it out. "I'm jealous of Susan." (Her name isn't really Susan, in case anyone was wondering.) He asked me why, and I told him, "Because she's prettier than me." He asked what I meant by that. He asked question after question...until I realized I didn't have a real answer. I had my own opinion about what pretty was, coupled with, and based on, what the media told me what pretty was, and compounded by my deep standing insecurities about my own appearance. My jealousy, which was a very real feeling that ran with very strong emotions, was based on me--my perception of reality, and of myself.


Vince made me think about what it was I was feeling. He made me break it down so that I had to look at it in pieces. I had to push aside, or at least try to push aside, the emotions that went along with my jealousy. He forced into the light that my jealousy was stemming from my brain, from facts that weren't facts at all, but my own perception, and the only way to counteract that, was to realize that what I was believing wasn't truth, but opinion, and that that opinion was based on unreality.


He made me see that I needed to chop off the monster's head.


But I grew this monster. I fostered it. I fed it. I raised it from infancy. It was as much a part of me as my arms and legs. But it wasn't a healthy limb. If I left it there, it would rot, and eventually, it would kill me.


I don't mean to say that, because I now realize my jealousy's foundation is unstable that I can fix it all at once. That would be silly. Rather, now that I can see my jealousy for what it is, I can begin to deal with it, one insane episode at a time.


I feel myself start to get jealous.
I feel my heart start to pound,
my cheeks go red,
the tears start to well up in my eyes,
and then I think...
is this real?
Or is it all in my head?
Why do I feel this way?
Why?
And that doesn't make it go away, but that makes it manageable. That makes the monster a little bit less scary. And when the monster is less scary, you can start to fight back. After a while, that monster that's tangled itself up in your mind will be small enough to manage, and then you can chop off its head.


It won't be something that changes in a day, or a week, but I know it'll happen. As long as we remember what's real, and what isn't. As long as we stop to think about why we feel a certain way, and what we're basing it on. As long as we remember to search for truth, and to ignore the things that influence us with falsehoods. As long as we remember all of this, that monster, Jealousy, won't have any place in us. And that will be a beautiful, beautiful thing.

5 comments:

  1. Mrs. Frantz,

    You have SUCH a way with words my dear. This is an incredible message from your heart and it is a beautiful thing for me to read. Your words and your imagery blow me away, and the more your write and the more I read the better you become, every single day.

    I'm so proud of you. And I admire you so, for being able to put your raw feelings and emotions out there for all of us to read. I believe it is great for a number of reasons but mostly because what you have written will help so many others deal with this monster.

    There are so many things I love about this blog and all your blogs but I must say this may be one of my favorites to date. Why, you ask? Because I love seeing/reading the way Vince helped you talk out your jealousy...and helped you realize that you and you alone can "chop off the monster's head." Seeing how he didn't just say "Oh babe, you have no reason to be jealous of her, YOU are beautiful" (which by most people's standards would be a great answer) he opened your eyes to the root of the problem, he made you break it down and realize that it's all in your head and that you can concur the beast! Your relationship with him is a beautiful, beautiful thing and I can't wait to read more things like this in your blogs to come.

    I love you sweet sister, please keep writing :)

    Love from,

    BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB, Vince, after all of his words of wisdom, DID say the things a husband generally says...but BECAUSE he prefaced them with real, solid, concrete reasons, they meant so much more. You know? Anyway...thank you, again, for always supporting what I write. I sit there, and ramble, and you always make me feel like it matters somehow...it encourages me to keep going. You're the best sister in the world.

    love, Wug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good indeed. Very real, honest, and creatively worded. :) looks like there's a writer in the family :)

    -Joey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Joey. But, you're going to be the writer that everyone listens to. That really reaches people. =]
    Thanks for reading what I had to say. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linds,

    That is great! And you're right, the words (I'm sure) meant so much more because he prefaced it by helping you understand why you feel that way. Your relationship is beyond beautiful and I hope to one day have that myself!

    Please never stop writing!!! You may feel like you're rambling but you are reaching people and helping them and showing them that reality is beautiful. That struggle is part of life and that if dealt with correctly can make us stronger, happier and more in love with our Creator and with others.

    Joey is write, there is a writer in the family and your words will touch people just as much as his!

    You are both so talented and I'm happy and blessed to know you!

    I love you sweet sister!

    BB

    ReplyDelete