Thursday, May 19, 2011

Who I am. Who I'm not.

Why do we always want to be what we aren't?

This thought is one I struggle with a lot, but for the last few weeks I've been struggling with it more often than not. Logically, I know that being something else won't make me happy. I know that I can't become a certain person to attain the happiness or the contentment that I need. I KNOW that that happiness and that contentment is available right this second, if I would just reach out and grab a hold of it. But illogically, emotionally, humanly, I still find myself seeing someone else, seeing what they can do, reading what they wrote, hearing what they have to say, and yearning to be more like that person in order to be complete, in order to be fulfilled.

Let me start with the idea
of wanting what we don't have,
or wanting to be what we aren't.

Here's a simple example that makes all of this easiest for me to understand. Let's say you're a brunette, and you think that if you could only be blonde, you would be happy with yourself. You think that if you become a blonde you will suddenly be beautiful, you'll be happier because you'll be more confident, people will look at you and think what you've always wanted them to think, and in all of that you'll find contentment and joy. So, you go to the best hair salon and go blonde. You look like a completely new person, and you get all the reactions you hoped for. For a few days, you're on a happy-high.

And then the new wears off.

Your blonde hair becomes the norm, and you see a girl with brown hair walk by and think, if only your hair were dark again, you could be a natural beauty like her, and then you'd be happy.

You see where I'm going with this.

That is a really simple example of what I'm talking about. We think, well, I think, that if I can only be what I'm not (thin, athletic, a great singer, a guitar player, a pianist, a painter, et cetera), if I could only achieve those goals of being the very things that I'm not, THEN I would be complete. But I hope from my hair-example that it's clear why that philosophy, that idea, is faulty.

It's easier to want to be what we aren't,
than to try and live in the fullness
of what we are,
of who we are.

I'm not thin, or athletic, or a great singer, or a guitar player, or a pianist, or a painter, but I AM a writer, a friend, a thinker, a coffee drinker, a doodler. It's easier to pick at the things I'm not and say, "Why can't this be me? What's so wrong with me that I don't live up to these things?" than to say, "This is who I am, and I'm happy about that. I'm proud of that."

I have been given all of the ingredients for happiness. I have been given a life that is my own, that is unique, to live, to experience, to BE in. And in that life, no matter what the particulars are, I have all that I need to be content. No matter what your circumstances are--and I know that some circumstances are so difficult, so hard, so painful that it's hard to breathe, let alone look at the bright side--no matter what they are, there is happiness there, even if it's very hard to see.

I want to want to be what I am, who I am.

I'm not saying that, just because I've thought about it some, and written about it some, that I'll be forever changed, but it's part of the process. To be aware of it, and to try and live and be who I am, rather than who I'm not.

9 comments:

  1. This post kept drawing my mind back to the idea that change is inevitable. Our bodies grow old and die, our minds think different thoughts throughout our life, friends grow closer together or farther apart, our tastes change, etc. We are not who we were and we are not going to be who we are. I think you’re hitting on the deep truth that if we’re searching for happiness in a particular feature of our lives, we’ll inevitably be disappointed when it changes. We can’t find lasting happiness in being young, because we’re getting older. We can’t find it in our job because jobs change. We can’t find it (as you said) in the newness of a hair color, because newness wears off. I think that raises great questions about where real happiness comes from and what it looks like. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change IS inevitable. That's a fact that, at twenty-six, I'm just beginning to accept. You stated it better than I could have in one sentence. "If we're searching for happiness in a particular feature of our lives, we'll inevitably be disappointed when it changes." We have to find happiness in the here and now, and in the beautiful life that we're given. Thanks for reading, Will. And thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. I love the comments. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Kristie, you always lift my spirits with your encouragement and support of the little things I write. =] Thank you for always being there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linds, I really needed this write now. I love you. And you may not be some things that you'd like to be, but you are definitely one thing and that is BEAUTIFUL!!!! inside and out. Through and through. You are one of the most beautiful people I know! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stace - I'm glad that I could write something pertinent to your life. :) that always makes me feel like it was worth it to write it... You're the beautiful one, BB. love you.

    Muhammad - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Part of God's creation in us is the ability to change. It is part of what God has made us. He gave us, as part of our essence, the wherewithal of perfection; striving toward holiness. He places in us as part of man's makeup, this ability to move toward perfection (holiness). How do you know you are changing for the better? Ask with every thought, every action; is this bringing me closer to God? If not, change direction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous - (AKA Uncle Tom) - Beautifully said... Would you mind if I quoted part of this in a blog sometime?? I think you said what I wanted to say in a much clearer, more concise way. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete